Friday, July 10, 2009

Goodbye!

On the 4th of July, we had a dear friend of the family pass away. Our friend Kathren, whom we called Katie, passed away in her sleep, just as everyone would like to go. The thing is, she lived to be 104! I can't even imagine living to be that old. She lived a rich full life, although the last couple of years have been harder for her as her mobility diminished.

I was lucky enough to know her, and for her to love me. I met her when she was 94. Our first outing together was not very pleasant. I was having a rough time, and I was immature and didn't know how to deal with things in an adult way, so I was sure I had ruined any chance for Katie having a high opinion of me. Somehow I was wrong. I thought she had forgotten the incident, as I had tried to do, but she has reminded me quite a few times of our first meeting! She never forgot! Yet she looked past that first impression and got to know me and loved me for who I was.

My father in law took Katie for years to the hair dresser on Saturday mornings. After her appointment she would take him out to lunch. Sometimes my father in law would invite us to come along, and we would enjoy a wonderful lunch with Katie at her favorite restaurant. This restaurant went out of business, and a few others were tried, but it just wasn't the same. So she and my father in law started going to McDonald's! They always went through the drive through, which made it easy, but can you imagine a 100 year old lady going to McDonalds? Many times when my father in law was out of town I would take her to her hair appointment. I felt so honored to be helping someone out. We would park underneath a tree and eat our lunch and just freely talk. Even though Katie had trouble hearing and seeing, there were some days when I felt like she heard my every word.

She loved Bailey. She always loved to see him. I have a picture of him with her when he was 2 in his halloween costume. Mackenzie got her middle name from her. Katie never had children, but I wanted her legacy to live on somehow. She wasn't a perfect lady, she made mistakes and many times didn't mince words, but she was a good person and a good friend. We said goodbye to her today, but I know I will see her again.

1 comment:

Marie said...

Katie sounds like a wonderful woman! I truely appreciate all of the genuine and caring people that I have met throughout my life. They always have special places in my heart!