Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What kind of Valentine's card is that?

Bailey had to get Valentine's cards for his classmates at school. He picked out Indiana Jones ones this year, although he was a little worried what the girls would think. Turns out, it doesn't matter. We got a note from school saying each child should bring 14 valentines to school with just their signatures, no specific names for each student. They said that it makes passing out valentines easier and faster. I think that is a bunch of baloney. It may be a bit easier and quicker to deposit unnamed valentines into holders, but to me, it defeats the purpose. Don't you give valentines to people you care about? I would love to teach Bailey that he can care about each of his classmates individually even if he doesn't necessarily LIKE them. But when you just write your name on 14 valentines, it seems sort of silly.

When I was a kid, I would give valentines to everyone in my class. Even the kids who smelled a little funny. I was always nice. But to my real friends, I was a little nicer. I would pick out my favorite valentines for my most special friends. Maybe write a special little note to them. That way I wouldn't exclude anyone, but make those I cared about feel extra special.

I am sure that the school is more concerned with exclusion than speedy valentine delivery. This is a time when kids can be taught to care about others whether they get along with them or not. In the "real world" everyone has to interact with people they don't necessarily like. But we can have respect for them and treat them with kindness even if we don't like them.

Maybe 3rd graders are allowed to personalize their valentines.

4 comments:

Alison said...

What is the point of doing valentines then. Just silly.

Anonymous said...

That is dumb! I'm with you... I remember having to give them to the stinky kids & you like them a little more after that. Dumb new age rules.

Unknown said...

IMO the kids who aren't the favorited might have felt a little more special having received a personalized Valentine. I'm with you on the school's silly policy. Maybe Bailey can be all 007 like next year and personalize his Valentines, sort them in order of class seating, and then pass them out without anyone being the wiser. :) lol

Anonymous said...

I think this is all a pretty new concept and the point is to make sure there isn't someone left out. I see no reason why you can't make a suggestion for "personalizing" them. What would the harm be? Let's face it...oh, the times they be a'changin!