Monday, November 17, 2008

Bye Bye Binkie, Take 2!

Mackenzie went to her 2 year doctor appointment on Thursday. I knew exactly what the doctor would ask me "How is she sleeping at night?" Lately, she has been waking up 1 or 2 times a night, usually in search of the darn binkie. This has gone on for about a month, so I figured it was time to get rid of it. But I needed the doctor to give me the advice to get rid of it, so in my mind I could think "the doctor said we had to get rid of the binkie".

I decided Friday was the night. Mackenzie asked for the binkie, like always, and I told her they were all gone. I threw the binkies away, so I wouldn't give in to a moment of weakness. I showed her the spot they are usually kept, and once she saw they were gone, she was pretty much OK with it. No crying when going to bed, which is good. But naptime hasn't been as easy of a transition. There has been crying and throwing things out of the bed during naps. I am just trying to be patient about it, because she definitely needs a nap on most days.

Last night was the first night in over a month that she didn't wake up at night. Sort of. She did wake up at 10, but we were still awake so it didn't disrupt our sleep.

The doctor said it should take about 4 days for her to be over it. Tomorrow is day #4, so I guess things will only get better! Right?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's great that she didn't seem to mind too much! Good luck (although it doesn't sound like you need much).

McKenzie said...

I know it's time for us to say farewell to Nat's binkie, but I don't know if I'm ready to deal with the drama that will surely ensue. And besides, he's still so much a baby to me as long as he has it. Ugh - guess I have to get over that soon, right? Hope it went well!

Anonymous said...

Good luck, good luck, good luck! Really, what are 4 days in the long run???

One Hot Single Mama said...

Agh! I wish I could be more patient with Jayden and his damn binkies!! agh!!!!!!!! I have started to cut the tip off the nipple so that he doesn't like to suck on it. He actually handed it back to me and I asked later if he wanted a binkie and he said NO! haha. We have almost completely gotten rid of binkie during the day. He still gets it at nap and bed. That is it! I am hoping to get away from the bed thing by the New Year!! Wish us luck!