Monday, April 20, 2009

Hair Envy


I have never really liked my hair. It usually has a mind of its own. When I want it straight, it is wavy, when I want it wavy it is straight. Actually most times one side of my hair is wavy while the other side is straight. So when I found out I was having a little girl I dreamed of putting her beautiful hair in ponytails, curling it, and just brushing it.


Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be.


It is hard enough that Mackenzie is small for her age, but her lack of locks really makes her look younger than she is. I know she doesn't know any different. It isn't like the other 2 year olds are making fun of her. But for some odd reason I am sad that she doesn't have more hair. As if it makes her less of a girl. I know it doesn't. But you would think by 2 1/2 she would not still be called a "little boy" at the grocery store (yes, I know male grocery store clerks and really old ladies aren't the best at gender guessing, but by this age it is usually hard to get it wrong).


Maybe what I am really feeling like I am less of a mom because she doesn't have girl hair. I know I haven't done anything to prevent her from hair growth, but I do feel like people (adults) talk about it. I have had people say things to me, like when is she going to grow hair, and I wish it didn't hurt my feelings, but it does. I admit it. I also admit that I have googled "how to grow hair", and it obviously hasn't helped.


I just remember there was a family at church a long time ago who had two little girls. The older one had beautiful long brown hair. She was such a pretty girl with a sweet personality. The younger one had straggly dirty blonde hair, and just wasn't as cute. I felt bad for her. Maybe I fear people feel bad for Mackenzie because she doesn't have pretty hair.


Am I being superficial? Probably. Ok, yes, I am. Who knows, a year from now I could be writing about what a pain it is to fix Mackenzie's hair every day. But in the meantime, if anyone knows any hair growth tip, I am open to almost anything (except for shaving her head, I really don't like the cancer patient look when there is no cancer).

3 comments:

carrie said...

I don't get it I made the cutest comment ever yesterday and it's not here.
Anyways, it said something like... You're CRAZY! Mackenzie always looks so beautiful and girlie with her perfectly placed curls and she's always dressed so well. Long hair is overrated. My big hair problem with my little ones is cowlicks if you only knew how much of my spit is in their hair. :)

dontnoy said...

When Julina Emily was little she had no hair and no curls. One day at the store (she was dressed in blue) this little old man came up to me and said please tell me that is a little girl and not a boy. I told him that she was a girl and he said "oh good because she is too pretty to be a boy." That is Mackenzie. And my little girl has hair now.

I know thta doesn't make you feel better today.

june said...

Time is the answer. Maybe she won't have the hair you'd like her to have, but it will grow.
I hope she's feeling better soon and in time for your Mom's arrival.