Thursday, August 7, 2008

Bye Bye Binky!

Mackenzie has always loved her binky. Bailey never took one, but used me as a human pacifier. After she turned one, I realized we needed to ease up on the binky use. I think she would have had it in her mouth at all moments except for eating. We let her have her binky only during naptime and nighttime. During the last visit to the doctor, I was advised to wean her from the binky sooner rather than later. At the time, she wasn't quite sleeping through the night every night, so I thought "once she sleeps through the night consistently, I will take the binky away". When she started sleeping through the night, it was close to when we were going on vacation, so I said "when we get home from vacation, I will take the binky away". We got home, and she got sick. You can guess what I said! It was surprising to me how hard it was to take something away from her that reminded me so much of her being a baby.

Just a few days ago, Mackenzie decided that she loved blankets. This past winter she wouldn't sleep with a blanket on, and suddenly she wanted to be wrapped in a blanket, even when it was 100 degrees outside. A lightbulb went off in my head that it would be the perfect time to take the binky away. Last night I put her to bed without it, and she went to bed with no problems! Today's nap and nighttime haven't been as easy, but it will take a few days of adjustment!

How did my little baby girl get so big? Her favorite phrase is "I want that". Already demanding the world!

4 comments:

Alison said...

Yeah for giving up the binky!!

Sara said...

Yay! I thought it was going to be hard with Mady too - but I just decided one Friday night that it was the weekend to do it. Surprise - she was fine without it. Crazy kids!

Unknown said...

She is such a big girl. She talks so much and she's such a good swimmer. They grow so fast.

McKenzie said...

I'm not brave enough to take Nat's sucker (a binky to most of the rest of the world) away yet. The thought scares me. He only uses his during nap and bedtime, too, but he's SO attached to his sucker and Binky (that's what he calls his blanket) that I'm afraid he'd never sleep and never be the same without it!