Monday, July 7, 2008

I"m a little bit country




But just a little. I grew up on a farm. In New Jersey. Yes, New Jersey. It isn't called the Garden State for nothing. Being back there visiting made me realize my kids are leading a different life than I did. When I was a kid I had acres and acres that I could run around and do pretty much whatever I wanted. In fact, I had a favorite game I liked to play. It involved walking in a corn field, trying to get myself turned around and confused of where I was, then seeing how long it took me to get out of the field and seeing where I ended up. I bet YOU never played that game! Anyway, my kids get to play in their fenced in back yard. We actually have a nice sized back yard, but still, they can't go exploring or wandering all around. A few times at my parent's house I didn't know exactly where Bailey was, but it was OK. He's not the type to go far.

In NJ, I realized that we don't spend as much time outside at home as I thought. Especially in the evening. Every evening in NJ we would go outside and enjoy the fact that it is summer. Here, there are so many darn bugs that it is hard to enjoy the outside. Now wouldn't you think the country would have more bugs than the suburbs? Ah, that wonders of bats! They are a good mosquito repellant!

There just seems to be so much to discover in the country. Like these little guys. Aren't they cute?


Who can resist a baby skunk? If you were wondering, they didn't smell, and they weren't bothered by us nearby.

There is a little part of me that would like to move back. Especially since there is a Wendy's 10 minutes away and no Wendy's here. And a great new custard stand (oh, how I love a twist!). But I think suburban life fits our family better. At least for now!

2 comments:

Sara said...

I know what you mean about enjoying the outdoors in summer. I love sitting outside in the evenings, but I know that I have to spray myself down against mosquitos and know that I am going to sweat. Esp since its still 80 degrees at 8pm.

Unknown said...

Yeah...totally a different life...however...I DO happen to have a Wendy's less than ten minutes (in fact I had myself a nice Vanilla Frost the other day)---near me, SOOO aside from the fact what is meant to be hot will be cold and what was cold will be hot with the 30 minute drive---I would be happy to bring you your hearts desire whenever I come your direction...FYI---coming that direction tomorrow, just say the word! LOL~