Saturday, March 29, 2008

I will never understand men

You would think after being married for 9 years (and it feels more like 50) that I would start to understand men. My husband can be such a typical man sometimes. He loves toys and gadgets and cars, and drools over these things leaving a puddle wherever we go.

So we have gotten some unexpected money from Jared's work recently, and of course he is looking for ways to spend it on something cool and fun. I have already said no to a 4 wheeler (we don't have anywhere to ride it, and using it 4 times a year would not be a good choice). Off we went today to "just look around" at stuff. We threw around the idea of getting the kids a new swingset for the backyard, but I can't seem to get over the idea of spending $1000 on playground equipment. We went to the dreaded Best Buy, where the floor is permanently wet with man drool. Jared finds a TV that he loves, of course, there is only one and it is the floor model. But we would get an extra 10% discount! I could feel Jared giving me the puppy dog eyes of "I know we said we were just looking, but can't we take this home right now? Please?" I did not give him eye contact, knowing too well what was going on. I told him let's think about it and look around the rest of the store. What does he do? He pouts for the rest of the time in the store!!!!! When I called him on it, he said that he wasn't pouting, he was thinking. Um, I know the thinking look. That one looks like he is constipated.

Ever since we have gotten home, he has been a real crab!! I never said we weren't buying anything cool or fun, but I just don't want to make such a large purchase without really thinking about it. There is so much to think about when it comes to TV's, especially flat screens. We would have to get some kind of new entertainment cabinet to put the cable box, DVD player, Wii, and stuff like that. If we wanted it wall mounted, then we would have to pay Best Buy $500 to mount it. All these things really add up. I am just trying to be the rational, levelheaded one. Trust me, it isn't always fun to play that role in the relationship, but this is the reason we are where we are financially.

Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant, but I don't think I am being unreasonable by thinking about a big money purchase. Plus he agreed to it before we even went to the store!! Men!!! Or at least, My Husband!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Samantha--I so feel your pain. Your DH sounds just like mine. Men are so impulsive. I have a hard time saying no to mine. I need a little of your backbone, but I am learning no. Good luck.

Momma Mary said...

Sounds familiar here too. We're both bad at it though. You can mount the TV yourselves. It isn't THAT hard. You need a level, a drill, and a stud-finder is usually helpful. But seriously, DH and I have mounted ours twice. Many of the TVs come with stands too. So, you can set it on a table. :) Best Buy is NEVER a good idea to 'just go to look.' It always seems to start a fight!

Anonymous said...

Don't buy anything from Best Buy ever.