Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Phighting Phils!

My first true love is baseball. Yes, I will admit it. It is the best! Now I understand how it is boring to some people, but not to me. I have even listened to countless games on the radio. When I was 15 I really got interested in the Philadelphia Phillies. I watched games all the time and was a big fan of all the players. Baseball helped keep my mind off the fact that my life was boring and I didn't have many friends. Baseball was my friend and kept me entertained 162 games a year. This particular year (1992 to be exact) the Phillies stunk, and weren't very popular, so we had a lot in common.

1993 is when I really got crazy. The Phillies were good, and that made me happy. I also had a huge, huge crush on one of the players. I had many fantasies of him falling in love with me. There was an 11 1/2 year age difference (and 2 weeks, if you want to know the exact difference) but I didn't care. There was no boys at my school who would even look twice at me, and at least that baseball player couldn't break my heart because we would never meet.

In 1993 the Phillies went to the World Series. It was huge! The stuff dreams were made of. We were so close to winning, but my crush ended up losing the Series for the team. I was so sad. I did cry tears of sadness over baseball! I also found out that my crush was getting married in the winter, so that also broke my heart.

Life was hard for awhile, but I was able to move on. But I still love baseball. Now that I live in St Louis, the Cardinals are my favorite team. But the Phillies will always be the team I cheer for. The Phillies and I have history. First true loves never fade away, at least not for me.

This postseason the Cardinals didn't make it in, but the Phillies did. So I did what I always do, cheer for the Phils. Bailey joined me, and now says the Phillies are his favorite team. And tonight I saw them win the World Series!! Ah, the joy! It has been a long time coming, 28 years since the last time the Phillies won the World Series. Although I wish it could have happened in 1993, I am happy for my Phillies, for they will always have a piece of my heart!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Phillies!!! I've been meaning to talk to you about it. I am very happy for you.
Thanks for your honesty. I love it Samantha! Not many would be willing to tell the world they had fantasies about a baseball player & cried because their team lost.

Melissa@thebblog said...

Go Phillies. I don't understand it, but I love that you love baseball!