Friday, April 25, 2008

I Have the Gimmies

Growing up, we loved to read the Bearenstein bears books. My sister collected them in fact. There was one that was called "The Bearenstein Bears Get the Gimmies" or something along those lines. It is where Brother and Sister want everything imaginable just because. Now I don't even remember how they came to get rid of the gimmies, they probably saw other bears who don't have as much as they do or something like that. But I think I need to read that book again. Because I have the dreaded gimmies.

I don't know why, but there are so many things that I want right now. The Hub got his TV, I feel entitled to get something cool too. Unfortunately I have a list of things I want, none of them being necessarily practical. One of the things I want is a Canon Rebel XTi. I have wanted one for a couple years, but they were out of my price range. But when I went to Amazon.com the other day, they are at a more reasonable $600. Not that $600 isn't a big chunk of money to spend, but I also cashed out my credit card points for a $100 gift card to Amazon, making the camera only $500. But after the big TV purchase, along with the fact that I just got a new point and shoot camera last year, I'm not sure I should make such a big purchase, at least not right now.

Another thing I have been wanting is yarn. Yes, you read right, yarn. I have been knitting for a couple months now and I love it. It is so relaxing and fun to make something out of yarn. We really don't have any good yarn stores around here so I look at yarn online. I am sad, I know. The yard I want is a bit pricey, but it is nice stuff. All the knitting books say you should knit with the nicest yarn you can (I'm sure they get some sort of royalty or something from the cashmere and alpaca people). One day I loaded up a virtual shopping cart with just a few balls of yarn that I was interested in and the total quickly surpassed $50.

I could go on and on about more things that I want right now. Good thing my birthday and mother's day is coming up!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I always have the gimmies! It's a curse. I love good yarn too. I was raised that way. My grandma used to own a yarn store. So it's in the blood. But you need it. your stuff that you knit is adorable.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that when your husband spends quite a bunch of money on a TV you are aloud to spend some on yarn. Otherwise kick him to the curb.