Friday, April 11, 2008

Morning person or night owl?

I am neither. How did I get so lucky? I'm not sure. When Bailey was a baby, he was definitely a night owl. I remember when he was 4 months old and we were living in my in law's basement, it would be 1 AM and he would still be awake. At the time I was one of those mothers who thought it was mean to have my infant cry at all, so as soon as I would put him in his crib he would wake up. I would start trying to have him go to sleep all over again. During this time I was so tired. I just wanted to get in my nice warm bed next to a snoozing husband who had no idea that I wasn't even in bed. But the one thing that I enjoyed during those 1AM times was HGTV. At the time I didn't have a house, but HGTV made it possible for me to dream. Even today I still love House Hunters. What a great show. Although I could smack the annoying couple with no children who say the 4,000 square foot home they just toured was "too small".

Anyway, I digress. The nice thing about Bailey going to bed later was that he would sleep in. It seems that no matter what time I go to bed, my body would like to naturally wake up somewhere around 8:30 or 9. The older Bailey got, the earlier he would wake up. I think this is mostly because we got smart and started making the child have an actual bedtime. Now that he has to be at school by 7:50, he naturally wakes between 6 and 7. Mackenzie thinks this is also a great time to wake up. In fact, this morning she was awake and calling for me at 5:56. I have to mention that she went to bed at 8, which was later than usual, and woke up 2 times in the night, the stinker. And it would be one thing if Mackenzie just enjoyed spending time with me in bed. No, she has to say "milk, milk, milk, milk, milk" until I get up and get her a drink. She drinks until her thirst is quenched, then says "up, up, up, up, up, up" pushing on me to get me out of bed, telling me she wants to "eat, eat, eat". I finally give in and feed my poor starving child who eats like a human garbage disposal. She sure can pack it in for only being 19 pounds (she lost some weight with her sickness). This morning, we walked into the kitchen, where she said "na, na, na, na" which in Mackenzie speak means banana, which we didn't have anymore since she ate the last one last night right before bed. I thought maybe if she ate before going to sleep she wouldn't be as hungry when she woke up. Yeah right.

So the point of this whole post (if there even needs to be a point) is my children are trying to make me into someone I am not. And it isn't a bad thing, although I have been a little more tired lately. I am just excited because tomorrow hubby will get Mackenzie in the morning so I can sleep in!!!

No comments: