Friday, April 18, 2008

An Intruder!!!!

Last night before I went to bed, I made sure I locked the back door. It is my job after putting the dog in her kennel for me to do this. Of course my darling, slightly OCD husband asked me, like he does almost every night when I kennel the dog, if I locked the back door. Of course I did, was my reply. I didn't check the front door because I wasn't the last person to use it, and I figured Mr Obsessive surely locked it.

In the middle of the night, we woke up in a panic. Someone was banging on our bedroom door!!! It was heart stopping. Luckily my brave boy scout of a husband leaped out of bed, yelled "who's there?!" then paused for a minute, considering whether he really wanted to see what was on the other side of the door, then threw the door open. Nothing. He goes from room to room, checking to make sure the intruder did not rush into one of the kids' rooms to steal one of their toys. Nothing again. I got up and checked the front door, knowing I hadn't checked it earlier in the night. It was locked. At this point I was stumped. I went back to bed and thought "the only other logical conclusion was there's an evil spirit in our house!" I have no idea how I did it, but with this thought I fell back to sleep, although I did have some strange dreams about scary stuff.

So when we awoke for the morning, we turn on the TV. Guess what? At 4:36 am there was an earthquake that shook the midwest. Guess what time we were awake with our "intruder"? That's right, 4:36 am. So our house is safe, it was just an earthquake. A big one for here, but no damage done.

I grew up on the East Coast so I have an excuse for not recognizing an earthquake. My husband? He lived for 6 years near the Bay Area.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard about the earthquake and wondered if you guys had felt it. I guess so. :) Great story! - Tamera

Unknown said...

So scarey. I wouldn't have been able to sleep thinking there had been an intruder or an evil spirit in the house. Ty and I slept right through it. I guess that's what you get when you have a newborn around.

Anonymous said...

Your husband's a bit of a freak.