Thursday, April 10, 2008

I Heart the Mall

One of the nice memories that I have growing up is going to the mall with my family. My mom worked on and off through my childhood, but we always had time to go to the mall together. Where I live now, the closest mall is only 5 miles or so away, but growing up, the mall was about 20 miles away. Many times when we would go to the mall we would invite either my Aunt Jo Anne or Nanny, my grandmother. We would always go early to get there by 10 and beat the crowds, and we would walk around and shop. We would usually go out to lunch somewhere, which was nice when I was younger, but when I was around 10 or 11 I developed a food phobia (that's a story for another post!). I do remember one time Nanny let me order an ice cream sundae instead of regular food for lunch (oh how I miss Friendly's).

I just have a nostalgic feeling sometimes when I go to the mall. I went today, because what better place is there to go on a rainy day than the mall? I walked into Sears, and saw some clothes that reminded me of something my Nanny would have picked out. She died 18 months ago, just 3 weeks after Mackenzie was born. I miss her so much, but I am so glad to have those memories of being at the mall together as an extended family.

I am pleased to announce that while I bought stuff at the mall today, I actually came out a dollar ahead because I returned something. Go me!

No comments: