Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My Little Shrimp

Mackenzie is 18 months, but she is tiny. Whenever we go out and people comment about her, I know they think she is much younger than she is. This is actually sort of nice. They think she is really smart because she can talk and understand direction when really what she can do is average for her age. (Not saying 18 month kids who don't talk are dumb.) Also when she is running around, her size is deceiving. People are impressed that she can walk and run around. Honestly it isn't impressive. It's just the way it is! Most 18 month old kids walk and run. Whenever I tell someone how old she is, they either look at me like I am lying or miscalculated her age, or that I am not feeding her enough which is why she is so small. Let me tell you, she eats like it is going out of style! She likes healthy stuff and some not so healthy things. She eats very well, as anyone who has watched her eat can attest to.

I always had the same thing happen with Bailey. He is still small for being 7, although he has been growing a lot lately. It is an advantage when he is acting good like a 7 year old should be able to and other people observe, and to them, he is a 4 or 5 year old acting exceptionally well behaved. About 6 months ago we were walking around the neighborhood and we ran into some neighbors in the area we had never talked to before. They had a little boy who was about 4. The mom stopped and chatted with me for a minute or two, talking about how they didn't know there were other kids in the neighborhood around her son's age. So she turns to Bailey and asks him how old he is. He says 7, the mom's mouth drops open, she says, oh, well nice talking to you, and that was the end of the conversation. Bailey understood what had happened. He said "I know I am small, but I'm not THAT small!" He is small but pretty mature for his age. At least I think so.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's funny! Bailey is mature for his age and he's too smart for his own good. We should hang out more! Just call us!

Anonymous said...

I love it too! I love that they're small. They do look so cute & smart. Big kids just automatically get the bad rap. Luckily Taj is average at the moment. When are watching my kid!!!? PLEASE!