Tuesday, September 30, 2008

An interesting day

Today my fabulous sister in law Denae (don't worry Melanie, you are fabulous too, even without a brain!) called to see if I wanted to go for a walk with her in her neighborhood. Mackenzie loves spending time with her cousin Taj, so off we went. We had a great walk in beautiful walking weather. We got back to Denae's house and let the kids play outside. While we were chasing the kids around, Denae heard something. It sort of sounded like kids playing, or a cat crying. It sort of sounded like someone crying for help, but I just couldn't be sure. Denae decided to check it out. The kids went inside and busied themselves with some toys and I went back outside. Denae called to me to come, so I did. An elderly neighbor across the cul-de-sac had fallen outside her front door into some bushes. No broken bones, so Denae and I were able to pull her out of the bushes and get her back inside. We made sure she was OK and that she called her doctor and we were on our way.

I share this story not to say how great I am, because I played a small role in helping the neighbor. But I have been praying the last few days that I can be the answer to the prayers of others. An apostle in our church, Elder Utchdorf, gave a talk the other night at the General Relief Society meeting. I didn't get to hear it because of Mackenzie's birthday, but a few friends told me about it. Elder Utchdorf said in his talk that we should pray to be the answer to other people's prayers. After all, Heavenly Father answers our prayers most of the time through the actions of others. I decided to start praying for that. Then this happens today. I wasn't planning on being at Denae's. She called me to help her be motivated to walk. If I hadn't come, she wouldn't have been outside (most likely) to hear her calling. When I had this realization, I felt so blessed to have had the opportunity to help someone in need. I felt my prayers had been heard.

Through small and simple things, Heavenly Father reminds me that He loves me and knows me.

2 comments:

Alison said...

That is so great! Glad you could help someone in need.

Melissa@thebblog said...

You are a great example to me! Thank you for sharing that experience.