Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A past memory

With all the thinking time I have had lately, I had an old memory pop into my head today.

I have a crazy aunt. Thank goodness she isn't my blood relative. I think most people have a few nuts in their family tree. She was one of ours. When I was younger I would spend time with their family. I even went on a few family vacations with them.

One day, when I was probably 11, we went to K Mart together. She let my cousin, sister and I go off on our own. We told her specifically where we were going to be, in the book section. True to our word, we were in the book section, waiting for my aunt to be done with her shopping and come and find us. This never happens. To my absolute horror, I hear over the intercom "Will Samantha, Jared and Adrienne please come to the service desk. Their mother is waiting for them." I felt so humiliated. When you are shy you don't want someone calling your name over the intercom like you were lost. We weren't lost. My aunt was too darn lazy to go to the book section and find us. Plus, she was NOT my mother. At this time I suspected something wasn't right with her and I really didn't want to be linked to her in this way.

It is funny how some memories are still so vivid in your mind. There are so many more important things that I could remember about my life and childhood, and this is what I remember. Some days I think I would like to watch a movie of my life so I can see all the things I have forgotten, but I might be too embarrassed of myself!

No comments: