Wednesday, September 17, 2008

It was almost "trip to the doctor, part 2"

My kids have to be practically dying before I take them to the doctor. The idea of wasting money just to hear the doctor say "(s)he's fine, or just has a virus, or just wait it out" is just beyond my sensibilities. Plus I think of all the germs that are at the doctor's office. I don't even want to think about going to the doctor, being told all is well, and then having contracted some deadly disease that warrents a real trip to the doctor. I'm sure it is a conspiracy, that is how doctors stay in business.

Anyway, getting back to my story (actually, starting it, I suppose). This morning, Mackenzie fell off the couch while playing. As I helplessly watched her fall, I saw her land on her arm in a slightly awkward way. She cried for a minute, then went on her merry way to see what mess she could make next. The kitchen is a great place to get into stuff! In attempting to take every can out of the lazy susan, she drops one on her toe. Lots of screaming and crying this time. I look at her toe, and there is a bruise under the nail and it is a little red and barely swollen, so I don't worry. But all morning she refuses to walk. She just sat in my lap looking sad. If she did walk she would cry after a few steps. I started to worry that maybe she hurt more than just her toe. I figured I would put her down for a nap and reevaluate her after her nap.

When she woke from her nap, I found her standing on one leg. Not a good sign. She was limping around a bit, better than before. I touched her foot and she didn't have any reaction to my touch. After awhile she was running again, but more cautiously. Whew! Doctor's visit averted. And I look like a smart parent.

Tonight, I caught her in the lazy susan again. Will this girl ever learn?

1 comment:

carrie said...

Jared told me about Mackenzie's toe last night at church poor thing:( He said you hadn't taken her to the doctor and at first I thought what if its broken? Then Jared said what would they do if it was? It made me realize that they really don't do very much. so you were smart not to take her I'm glad to here that she is doing better. These darn kids.